Advantages of cord blood as an alternative source of stem cells:
1. Ease of procurement
2. Absence of risks to the donor
3. Reduced likelihood of transmitting infections
4. Storeage of fully tested and HLA-typed stem cells
5. CB-transplantations result in a similar long-term survival together with decreased GvHD and better long- term immune recovery compared to HLA- matched unrelated BM transplants.
6. The search for an HLA-matched unrelated adult donor may take as long as 3-4 months. Cord blood, however, is promptly available for immediate use, which may be crucial for patients with aggressive malignancies.
7. For patients in urgent need cord blood offers a higher chance to find a suitable donor and is safer due to less stringent HLA-matching requirements.
8. Vivocell cord blood banks provide the transplantation centre with all information required, including high resolution HLA typing, comprehensive viral and bacteriological status, donor´s family medical history and a detailed report of the unit´s cellular composition, as well as a report on collection, transportation, preparation, freezing process and storing conditions.